Those who live or have traveled to Alabama in the summer know it is HOT here. When you plan an all-day fishing trip on the lake, it’s important to keep your health in mind. Need some tips and tricks to beat the heat when you spend the day in the sun? Read on!
- Hydrate. It’s important to stay hydrated. Pack enough water in your cooler for yourself and everyone on the boat with you. One bottle of water is not going to do the job! Pack more than you think you’ll need to be sure you’ll have plenty for the day.
- Sunscreen. Remember to apply sunscreen before you hit the lake. Allowing time for the lotion to soak in is an often overlooked but important step. Keep in mind you are protecting your skin from harmful rays that come from the sun as well as from the sun’s reflection in the water.
- Protective Clothes. Many fishing brands create clothing with UV protection in the material. Long-sleeve performance shirts, hats and sunglasses can help keep your skin protected and cool during the summer months.
- Cooling Gear. Among the many ways to assist with comfort are portable cooling fans, misters and cooling wraps. These may keep your body temperature down and prevent you from overheating while outdoors.
- Snacks. Be sure to pack extra food for your time on the boat. Low-sodium foods won’t make you thirsty and will keep you focused and fueled for a day of fishing and water fun.
Now that you are armed with some tips to beat the heat, it’s time to hit the lake and catch the fish of your dreams!